Sunday, January 27, 2013

#10 A Hasty Decision

It's been a while since I last posted, but I left off talking about how I made a quick decision that didn't turn out so well.
I had been going to the local technical college to get some of my basic core credits done, but I knew they didn't offer the degree I wanted, so I had always planned to eventually transfer to the state university. I had completed all the classes I could that would transfer over, and applied and was accepted to the state university. I started off commuting every day, but it was an hour drive and I stupidly signed up for an 8am class.
So all of a sudden I decided it would be a good idea to up and move an hour away to be closer to school, even though I knew no one in the city and would be leaving behind all my friends and family and Bub's dad.
I found an apartment that I could afford and moved in without really researching the area first. It was terrible. Someone tried to break into my car. There were always huge groups of guys standing in the breezeway in front of my door smoking weed and drinking at 1am when I would finally get home from work and I had to carry my 1 year old son through the crowd just to get to my door. Bubs always slept in the bed with me and our bed was against the wall that had the window. One night someone broke the window and it came crashing in on the bed with me and Bubs.
I wasn't getting any sleep. I couldn't concentrate on any of my school work and I was failing most of my classes. I hadn't met any other students who I could be friends with. There didn't seem to be many students like me there. They were all young carefree college kids, and I on the other hand was living on my own, paying my own way, working full time and was a single mother. I felt completely alone.
And so I started talking to my ex's mother. She agreed that I could move in with them so that I could have help with Bubs and get back to a safe neighborhood, because I didn't have enough money just laying around to pay another deposit on a new rental place. As soon as I moved in, my ex moved out. It was a little awkward having your ex girlfriend living with you, I'm sure, even if she is the mother of your child. Once I moved I slowly stopped going to school. The commute was too much, I hated being away from Bubs, it was too difficult to arrange babysitting now that he wasn't in daycare. And I still haven't gone back. I doubt I ever will now.
I lived with my ex's family for a few months until I go my tax returns and could afford to move, and I moved into a trailer about a mile down the road. One direction was a mile away from my ex's family, the other direction was about a mile away from my ex and his roommate. The landlords were crazy, but the location was perfect for me.
We still live in the same town. I'm not crazy about it, but it's home now. It's such a small town, truly a 1 stop light town, although we do also have a flashing light. I decided to stay close to family, and that means living in this small town that is slowly growing on me. God I can't believe I just said that, my husband's never going to let me live that down now.

No comments:

Post a Comment